Monday, June 8, 2015

CollegeFundWare


 

Hi. I have never done this. Ever. In fact, I'm reluctant to even be typing this.

But, times are changing, and getting more interesting (possibly in a Chinese curse sort of way).

You likely made it to this blog post because you clicked on a link promoting my girls' college fund.

These are the daughters in question. Kailyn, our oldest, is entering college this fall (2015) to become a teacher. Our youngest, Kaci, will be going to college fall of 2021. Kaci says she wants to be a teacher, but Robin and I don't think she has the temperament for it. She does, however, have the makings of an engineer. And she loves Star Trek and Doctor Who, so there you go! ;)

The end result is that for the next ten-to-twelve years, we're pretty much hosed... LOL

We are honored and blessed that you have taken the time to read this blog. If I've helped you out in any way, please consider making a free-will donation to the fund by clicking on the "Donate" button below. I call it free-will because:
  • you don't have to donate if you don't want to.
  • you can donate whatever you wish. No minimums. You want to donate $5.27? Well, you can!
Again, thanks for taking the time to read this! Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Frankly not surprised that you're asking for donations.
    Do your daughters know that teaching jobs don't pay much?
    Will they grow up to complain incessantly about low pay and demand that others pay more in taxes for them to get paid for?
    Why do you think it isn't your responsibility as a parent to fiance their education? Why are you leaning on others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to write up a fallacious argument, and posting anonymously to hide behind it.

      Let's cover this step-by-step, shall we?

      **Frankly not surprised that you're asking for donations.**
      You should be. As stated above at the beginning of the post, it's not something I'm prone to do.

      **Do your daughters know that teaching jobs don't pay much?**
      We've been saying it for years. In fact, my wife (also a teacher) is a special education teacher at the second-lowest paid district in our state. 200 kids K-12. I also have friends and relatives who teach in both public and private schools. The common theme is that they have a passion for it, a God-given desire to see our kids succeed. While more money wouldn't be scoffed at, it's not the driving reason that they do it.

      **Will they grow up to complain incessantly about low pay and demand that others pay more in taxes for them to get paid for?**
      No. See above. I was so economical in my writing that I just gave you a two-fer.

      **Why do you think it isn't your responsibility as a parent to fiance their education? Why are you leaning on others?**
      Sorry, gotta call shenanigans on that one. The only way I can see where that line of questioning is coming from is that you really didn't take the time to read this post. Or worse yet, added your own words, since I never said anything of the kind.

      But, now that I think about it-- and you opened the door to this discussion, it is not (technically speaking) the parent's responsibility to put their son or daughter through college. Mine college was done entirely by loans and work. My wife paid her own way. Don't get me wrong, we're helping out (the lion's share, in fact), but our daughter also has to work to pay her way. Things take on a new appreciation if you have to work hard to get it.

      But let me get to the nub of this discussion. If you ever bothered to check out what I do, you'll see over the past ten years, I've provided software/programming solutions and tutorials to others that want help. Sometimes fairly complex solutions. I do it to help out, and don't charge for what I do. Therefore, the reason I call this a free-will donation is so that-- heaven forbid-- if someone actually wants to pay me for services rendered-- they can do so. Of their own free will. No obligations. As much or as little as they want to give (meaning how much they think my services are worth).

      I realize that this concept may be a bit hard to understand. Maybe I should change everything to call it "College Fundware", since these moneys don't go to me, but our kids' college funds. And they get the entire amount. Any fees and taxes are paid by me.

      If you want to discuss it further, or just get to know us, I'd be happy to chat with you. Just be brave enough let us see you, and not hurl rocks from the shadows.

      Delete
    2. Oh, wait, I DID call it College Fundware. That's genius stuff, right there.

      Delete